Merrylea Parish Church
Sunday 22nd June 2014 at 2.30pm
1) Processional – Fanfare on “St Fulbert” Philip Marshall
2) Hymn Prelude “I love thee, my Lord” George Shearing
3) Choral Fantasy “If thou but suffer God to guide thee” Feike Asma
4) Air (from Orchestral Suite No 3 in D) J S Bach
5) Prelude & Fugue in B minor (BWV 544) J S Bach
6) The Lost Chord Arthur Sullivan
7) Folk Song Harold Greenhill
8) Exultemus Psalm 81. v 1 –3 (from seven sketches on verses from the Psalms) Percy Whitlock
John Burnett is organist of Merrylea Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Glasgow. He is a native of Coatbridge and a former pupil of Coatbridge High School.
After secondary school he went on to study classical organ at Edinburgh with Philip Sawyer at Napier College. He then studied at the RSAMD with Dr George McPhee and Sir David Lumsden, however he attributes his basic understanding of the instrument from watching and listening to his father play.
To further his interest in church music he moved to East Anglia where he undertook a degree course in Christian Liturgical music and organ performance, during which time he studied organ with the international organist & composer Harrison Oxley and harpsichord with Peter Holman (Parley of instruments)
He enjoys all types and forms of music and in particular is greatly interested in reviving music by neglected composers.
Admission is free but retiring offering in aid of “The Prince and Princess of Wales ‘Brick by Brick Appeal’
As advertised on organrecitals.com – Britain’s largest and most comprehensive organ concerts website
“Scottish Charity Registration No. SC004016