Merrylea Parish Church
Organ Recital – John Burnett
Sunday 23rd November 2014 at 2.30pm
1) RAF March Past (arr J Burnett) H Walford Davies
2) Psalm Prelude 1 set 1 (Psalm 34 v 6)H Howells
3) Nimrod (from Enigma Variations) (arr W H Harris) E Elgar
4) Prelude & Fugue in E minor J S Bach
5) Chorale Prelude on “Eventide” (Abide with me) C H H Parry
6) Chorale Prelude on “Dundee” (The people that in darkness sat) C H H Parry
7) La Nativite J Langlais
8) Nightfall in Camp (arr F Rapley) D Pope
9) Pomp & Circumstance Military March No.4 in G (arr G R Sinclair) E Elgar
John Burnett is organist of Merrylea Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, Glasgow. He is a native of Coatbridge and a former pupil of Coatbridge High School.
After secondary school he went on to study classical organ at Edinburgh with Philip Sawyer at Napier College. He then studied at the RSAMD with Dr George McPhee and Sir David Lumsden, however he attributes his basic understanding of the instrument from watching and listening to his father play.
To further his interest in church music he moved to Essex where he undertook a degree course in Christian Liturgical music and organ performance, during which time he studied organ with the international organist & composer Harrison Oxley and harpsichord with Peter Holman (Parley of instruments)
He enjoys all types and forms of music and in particular is greatly interested in reviving music by neglected composers.
Admission is free but retiring offering in aid of “The Prince and Princess of Wales ‘Brick by Brick Appeal’
As advertised on organrecitals.com – Britain’s largest and most comprehensive organ concerts website
“Scottish Charity Registration No. SC004016